Open Call for GoodBrother Action Short Term Scientific Missions
One of the main COST Action CA19121 GoodBrother objectives is to foster collaboration between researchers involved in this COST Action. For this reason, we have an Open Call for Short Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) using a rolling system for the deadlines for applications, which for this Grant Period are as follows:
|First cut-off||15th March 2021|
|Second cut-off||15th June 2021|
|Third cut-off||15th September 2021|
All the applications that have been sent by the cut-off date will be evaluated within 15 days and the applicants will be informed about the decision.
What are STSMs?
Short Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) are exchange visits aimed at supporting researchers’ individual mobility, strengthening existing networks and fostering collaboration. STSMs are intended especially, but not solely, for young researchers. An STSM should specifically contribute to the scientific objectives of the GoodBrother COST Action. STSMs may last up to six months in another COST Member/Cooperating Member or Near-Neighbour Country joining the Action. The applicant can select a Host Institution from the list of Hosting Proposals on the Action Website or propose a different Host Institution.
STSMs must be between 5 and 30 days. STSMs are financially supported by the Action with a fixed contribution to cover part of the travel expenses and living allowance. The cost of research materials is not eligible for consideration as part of the grant. The calculation of the financial contribution for each STSM must respect the following criteria:
- Up to a maximum of EUR 3 500 in total can be afforded to each successful applicant; and
- Up to a maximum of EUR 160 per day can be afforded for accommodation and meal expenses;
Please note that the awarded grant will be paid only after the STSM has been completed – therefore the applicant must have approval and prior financial support e.g., from their own institution. STSM applicants from ITCs participating in GoodBrother COST can request a pre-payment of 50% of their STSM total Grant when they complete the first day of their STSM.
All the applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- 25% Appropriateness of the STSM for the selected Working Group and objectives
- 20% Quality and feasibility of the work plan
- 20% Quality and feasibility of the planned outcomes
- 17.5% Suitability of the applicant to work plan objectives
- 17.5% Benefits of the STSM for the applicant (visitor)
How to apply?
To apply for an STSM Grant within the GoodBrother Cost Action (CA19121), please follow this process:
- The applicant must carefully read the funding rules detailed in Section 8 of the COST Vademecum;
- The applicant must register for an e-COST profile at https://e-services.cost.eu/, adding their bank account details to their profile;
- The applicant must obtain a letter of invitation from the Host institution confirming that they can undertake the STSM on the given dates, prior to submitting an application;
- The applicant must complete and submit the STSM application online at www.cost.eu/STSM; and
- The applicant must send their STSM application form submitted to e-COST (pdf) and the relevant supporting documents to STSMs@goodbrother.eu and email@example.com, for evaluation before the application submission deadline expires. Make sure that the subject of the email contains the words [GoodBrother STSMs].
Your application will be first evaluated by the STSM Committee and STSM Coordinator, which will perform the scientific and budgetary assessment of the applications against the perceived contribution that the proposed visit will make to the objectives of GoodBrother. For more information please visit the GoodBrother Website and consult the GoodBrother Memorandum of Understanding.
It is expected that each STSM grantee will present their STSM work at a GoodBrother Working Group meeting or International Meeting. Upon completion of the STSM, an STSM report must be submitted to the STSM Coordinator by email. After the STSM, participants are highly encouraged to submit a contribution to a relevant journal or conference related to the topic studied during the STSM.
STSM and reporting must be completed by the end of this Grant Period (30th October 2021)
If you have further questions, please contact the STSM Coordinators of the GoodBrother COST Action, by sending an email to STSMs@goodbrother.eu.
After the STSM
Within 30 days from the end date of the STSM, the successful applicant must submit a scientific report to the Host institution and to the eCOST system. The scientific report should cover statement of achieving the project aims, description of the work carried out and the outcome/results, expected publications that may arise from the STSM (if applicable). The applicant is also responsible for acquiring an official completion letter from a senior researcher affiliated to the Host institution formally accepting the scientific report.
The applicant is also responsible for acquiring an official acceptance letter / Email confirmation of acceptance from a senior Researcher affiliated to the Host institution formally accepting the scientific report.
Failure to submit the scientific report within 30 days from the end date of the STSM will effectively cancel the Grant.
(Please note that the COST Association can request additional information to substantiate the information contained within the documents submitted by STSM applicants).